Things we want
- Access to More
- Regularly refresh your creative - Lenovo ran the same handful of 30 second spots countless times as the sole sponsor of Vista's Olympic video coverage. It was cute once. It was funny twice. By the 20th time, we were sick of the creative.
- Don't add buttons, add presence - Putting a del.ico.us button on a page doesn't make it social. Becoming a valued member of the community makes you social.
- Don't create without insight - more content doesn't equal more engagment. Ten good blog posts over three weeks are more valuable than one hundred poor blog posts.
- Think value, not technology - lots of flash doesn't equal lots of value.
- Think equity, not presence - branding is an art and a science, but it doesn't generate equity without generating value
- Think success, not innovation - it's not about what's new, it's about what's right. Just because phones can send text messages, doesn't mean that you should put a shortcode on a NYC subway ad (there is no mobile access on the subway)
- Solutions solve problems - your business will not succeed if it doesn't work for your target. An offer doesn't constitute define a solution. Usage does.
- New Success is based on Old Marketing - forget the shortcuts and bad habits learned over the past hundred years. Success in the new media world is not about BIG, it's about the tenets of small business some time ago - relationships, human connections, convenience and most importantly, REAL value.
photo credit here