Winston Churchill said it best: The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.
So what are the hard truths of social media? I was going to write my own list. Then I came across Matt J MacDonald's. And his were far better than mine! Check them out below.
- Everyone thinks they are a social media expert.
- Everyone is not a social media expert.
- Not every company should have social media initiatives.
- We’re all still figuring this out.
- Conversations are important, but not as important as some people will have you believe.
- Traditional advertising isn’t dead and won’t be for a while, if ever.
- Blogging is hard work.
- Twitter will not make or break you.
- Don’t always cave to the mob.
- The barriers to action are now so low that it’s incredible easy to act without thinking it through.
- If you speak your mind, you are going to piss someone off eventually.
- There’s no excuse to not be listening to the conversations online.
- If the words “unless we get caught” are part of your plan, quit now.
- Purists, Pessimists, and Doomsayers are almost always wrong.
- The wrong way to do things is always the easiest.
- There is still a ton of potential in this space.