You can post a picture from your mobile and reach the world in an instant, igniting a movement, launching a career or changing the face of international politics. But take the wrong picture at the wrong time and it can cost you your job, your reputation, your career and/or your relationships. The same is true with a tweet, a post, a status update etc.
So before your post, here's a 10 point screener. Just take a quick mental run-through this list before sharing. It can change your life.
- Why am I posting this? How does this post serve my desired audience?
- Assuming that absolute worst, would this post offend? Am I OK with this?
- What does this post say about me/how does this post position me?
- Do I have the moral/intellectual right to post this?
- note: Even if your boss says it's ok, your clients and colleagues across other companies collaborating on a given project may disagree. Even if your friend says it's ok, you should check with everyone in the picture. When it doubt, ask.
- Would my current or future clients, employers, friends or loved ones care about this post?
- How can I make this post better?
- Is this post timely, or would I be better served by waiting a couple of days and sleeping on it before posting?
- How will this post inspire or inform?
- How can I make this post stronger/what can I remove to make this post pithier?
- When you have a minute, look for other bloggers who may have covered this, learn from them and link to them. It will make your posts better.