If a tree falls in Twitter nobody will hear it, but millions may repeat the story, regardless of whether or not there really ever was a tree. The wisdom of the masses faces it's greatest challenge in the reflective fishbowl of social media.
Below are the primary lessons I have learned while straddling the line between social participant and brand coach. If there's anything you would like to add, please feel free to share in the comments below.
- Just because everybody says it, doesn't make it true.
- Just because it was written on a big blog, doesn't make it fact.
- Just because it was said at a conference doesn't make it a best practice.
- Just because you have followers doesn't make you an influencer.
- Excitement is contagious.
- Gossip is a very real form of excitement.
- Disposable media becomes more meaningful when the meme is pervasive in your social circle.
- Consensus defines reality.